Name of scholarship/program
TIGP-Earth System Science Program (ESS)
About TIGP-Earth System Science Program (ESS)
Eligibility and other criteria
Earth System Science welcomes young inquisitive minds to join us through our Ph.D. program in exploring and understanding the endlessly complex and interesting phenomena that govern Earth_s systems. Earth System Science focuses on our understanding of the interdependence and interconnectedness of Earth_s fundamental systems from the lithosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, and biosphere through to chemical, physical, and biological systems. These systems are all viewed in the context of dynamic processes that extend over spatial scales ranging from sub-micron to planetary, and time scales of less than a second to billions of years. The phenomena involved are frequently not only intellectually challenging but also socio-economically relevant and significant. At Academia Sinica, faculty research interests are far ranging, including the evolution of Earth_s atmosphere, anthropological effects on Earth_s climate both regionally and globally, changes to the biogeochemistry of the ocean in response to increased atmospheric CO2, the effects of atmospheric processes on ocean biogeochemistry, changes in fluvial input to oceans due to climate change, the physical and chemical processes that govern the dynamic evolution of the solid Earth, processes occurring within the lithosphere, especially those operating around subduction zones, within orogenic belts, and in the lower part of the continental crust, the mechanism and wave propagation of earthquakes, transport and fate of atmospheric pollutants, and the health risks of environmental contaminants.
Fellowship and Stipend
TIGP provides fellowship support of NT$34,000 (about US$1060) per month for all graduate students during the first year of their enrollment. The support will be extended for another two years upon evidence of satisfactory progress towards the degree. In subsequent years, the financial support will be provided by the student_s thesis advisor. The amount of the support will be at the discretion of the advisor.
Students with a B.S. or M.S. degree from an accredited institution will be considered for admission. The following criteria/materials will be used to evaluate the applicant's qualifications for admission:
1. Undergraduate and graduate academic records or transcripts.
2. The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE): General and Subject scores are optional but applicants are strongly encouraged to provide it. Applicants, who fail to submit GRE scores for evaluation, should provide supplementary information (e.g. M.S. thesis, research publication, description of research experiences, etc) that can demonstrate potential in research.
3. English proficiency: All applicants whose first
language is not English must submit the English test score, except those applicants who have recently completed two or more years of study in an English-speaking country.
(1) TOEFL: scores of 550 on the paper based (or 213 on the computer based or 79 on the New Internet-based TOEFL (TOEFL-iBT)) or higher; (Our institution CODE & NAME are: 7142 Academia Sinica) Only ETS International TOEFL will be accepted. Institutional TOEFL will not be accepted.
(2) GEPT: Instead of TOEFL, applicants in Taiwan may take the General English Proficiency Test (GEPT) administered by the Language Training and Testing Center. Applicants are required to submit their high-intermediate level certificate when applying for admissions;
(3) IELTS (International English Language Test System): Scores of 5.5 or higher on the Academic Test is required.
4. Three letters of recommendation commenting on the applicants personal character, and qualifications for independent study, including intellectual ability, research
5. Statement of purpose (Plan and reason for graduate study)
* March 31, 2017
Additional information, and important URL
© 2019 LeadLearners.Org ™
Designed by: Emmanuel Salawu at Bioinformatics Center